Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What Side of the River Are you From?


     Pittsburgh is truly a wonderful place to visit. The most amazing sight is when you are driving through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel and you reach the Ft. Duquense, there is the city of Pittsburgh laid out before you in all her glory. This is how I first saw Pittsburgh, while I was back here in 2008 on my honeymoon. If one had told me then, that I a California native would move here. I probably would of chalked that person as crazy. But now 4 years later, here I am living in Pittsburgh for the past 2 years. There are some things I, being the outsider, have noticed about people in Pittsburgh. I will travel across the three rivers to go to interviews, doctors appointments, meet with friends, and church. But living on the other side of the river in Scott Township means that not very many if any people are willing to travel to me.
       So being a mom, with two young beautiful girls isn't that easy to meet other moms and their children. I grew up being told very often that in order to be a friend one had to be friendly with others. While I am somewhat private, but I am honest, perhaps that is why I am writing this article. Because I've found that most mom's in Pittsburgh, generally stick to their neck of the woods where they are the most comfortable. In California or Washington state, I know without a doubt that the parents are more friendlier. But here it seems that parents are very suspicious of other parents. And rightly so, as a parent one needs to be vigilant, but so much to the extreme that you don't say hello to the other mom or dad. The children in my neighborhood are all school age children, my oldest isn't even 3 years old yet. Most MOPS groups meet during the early morning, which is not a convenient time for me all the time. Have you ever tried waking up a 2 ½ year old and an almost 1 year old to be out of the house by 8:30 am? It's not an easy task to do, I'm not saying some moms can do it, but this mom can't. Honestly a night time or early evening MOPS program would work best for my family, but these programs are designated for older children, not younger children like mine. I've tried to start a moms play group with some friends on Facebook, but I don't get people who are interested. So instead my mom friends are women, I know only from my church in Brighton Heights.
        I guess one day, when my 2 ½ year old and almost 1 year old head off to school then maybe they will have friends and I will be able to become hopefully friendly with their parents. But until then, I guess I will just bide my time, trying to be friendly to not-so-friendly parents at the malls and parks where my children play.

No comments:

Post a Comment